Kevin J. Rice
2500 Behan Rd., Crystal Lake, IL 60014
(847) 845-RICE (847) 845-7423
Software engineer with B.S.C.S. and 25 years’ experience doing highly technical client/server architecture and development over the full software life cycle, primarily in Python, Perl, and C.
INDUSTRIES: Retail, Financials / Markets, Construction accounting, Capital Markets (Risk), Credit, Consumer Electronics, Military, Education, Petrochemical, Insurance, Telecom, HR, Publishing.
APPLICATIONS: Timeseries/monitoring, Financials (FINRA / OATS, FIX protocol), E-Commerce, micro-services, infrastructure, front-end web development, internet security, embedded real-time systems, consumer electronics, telecom, industrial control systems, turbomachinery, web-based recruiting, version control tools & processes, cryptography.
PLATFORMS: Linux (RHEL, Ubuntu), Windows (all), AWS, AIX, Solaris, HP/UX, Embedded, AS/400
LANGUAGES: Python, Perl, C, C# .NET, Java, VBA, C++, Cobol, SQL, Ada, Assembler, Lisp
DATABASES: MongoDB, Cassandra, MySQL, Postgres, Oracle, Sybase, Informix, DB2, MS SQL Server, Memcache, Redis, MS Access, Paradox, Foxpro, ODBC, Vax/VMS RDB.
NETWORKING: Ethernet, sockets, DHCP, TCP/IP, POP3, PPP, cabling, firewalls, security, load balancers, routers, NAT, Internet protocols, authentication & authorization, SSL / TLS.
DEVELOPMENT TOOLS: Git, SVN, CVS, PVCS, SourceSafe, JQuery, CSS, Eclipse, Visual Studio
OTHER SOFTWARE: Flask, Django, Graphite, OpenNMS, Splunk, Twisted, Nginx, Apache, F5 Load Balancers, Robot Testing Frameworks, WebWare for Python, Pylons, LAMP, Mod_Perl, BBThreads, Dreamweaver, Frontpage, MS Office, JMX, Awk, Korn / Bourne (bash) Unix shell scripting, Make, sed, emacs, vi, Vax VMS DCL & VMS utilities, Norbert DOD, PGP, Roguewave, Lawson.
· Standard resume with summary info: http://justanyone.com/KevinJRiceResume.doc
· Expanded resume with job details: http://justanyone.com/KevinJRiceResumeDetailed.doc
· Employment History: http://justanyone.com/KevinJRiceEmploymentHistorySummary.doc
B.S., Computer Science, University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS, 1992
PROJECT EXPERIENCE for Kevin J. Rice (contact information below):
Principal Software Engineer, Sears Holdings, Inc. (Contract-to-Hire) 4/2012 to 2/18, 6 yrs
· Python Devops arch/design/coding/maint of large-scale monitoring systems used corporation-wide;
· Scalability: enhanced from gathering 1M to 15M metrics/minute incl. collection, storage, display;
· Created new MongoDB data warehouse accessible via Django / Graphite.
· Constant simplification/enhancements for huge monitoring ecosystem;
· Sat on 25-person corporate infra architecture committee, incl. SHC migration to AWS;
· Environment: Linux, Python, MongoDB, Flask, Kafka, Git, Twisted, Nginx, Graphite, Ceres, OpenNMS, Splunk, Django, F5, Cassandra. Some Windows/Aix/Solaris.
· [ contracted for 4 years, converted to full-time employee 2 years ]
Software Engineer, Nokia / Navteq Garmin (Consultant) 8/2011 to 4/2012, 9 months
· Created Python libraries used by Robot Framework test scripts;
· Created complex QA automation - test suites exercising newly-developed code (Java JMX & others);
· Environment: Linux, Python, Perl, Win32 Python, Robot Testing Framework, JMX, svn.
Lead Trade Support Analyst, Citadel Corporation 6/2010 to 8/2011, 1 year
· Trading desk support operations role (handled 6% of the U.S. equities and options markets;
· Perl and Python development/design of trading desk automation incl. troubleshooting FIX protocol lines and backoffice systems & processes;
· Setup new FIX lines and certified new clients dataflow;
· Rewrote compliance FINRA OATS processing of equities flow;
· Built several internal websites (Python Django & mod_perl) using Sybase;
· Environment: Linux, Python, Perl, Windows 7, Sybase, FIX, OATS, Django, ksh, bash, svn, capital markets, financials.
Senior Software Engineer / Architect, Textura Corporation 2/2005 to 5/2010, 5 years
· Employee #5 of now-publicly-listed 200+ employee construction industry corp doing B2B ASP / SAAS;
· Python architecture, design, coding of large portions of the main app in a small team, working closely with business analysts;
· Highly Agile weekly releases using TDD (test-driven development) unit and functional tests;
· Extensive use of SQLObject & SQLAlchemy ORMs (like Hibernate) connected to Postgres database, with hand-coding complex SQL queries when needed for optimization;
· Heavy OO design, development, incl. business analysis, coding, data conversion, and deployments;
· Fitnesse (functional) and Nose (unit) testing frameworks (similar to JUnit);
· Linux (Ubuntu and Redhat) system administration, documentation;
· Environment: Linux, Python, Postgres, Apache, SQLAlchemy, ACH payments, E-signing, automated legal docs, sysadmin, svn, RHEL, TDD Agile, Construction.
Lead Application Developer, BankOne JP Morgan Chase 4/2002 to 1/2005, 3 years
· Architected / developed Capital Markets Risk financials data warehouse;
· Reports and dataflows went to primary users of CEO Jamie Dimon & JPMC Board of Directors;
· Technical team lead for 5 developers on project;
· Wrote 40,000 lines of Perl to scan 350+ file types & load data into Sybase (migrated to Oracle);
· Developed 2000+ lines of VBA & 3000+ lines of complex SQL to extract data into Excel reports;
· Wrote 2000+ lines Visual Studio .NET C# code for misc. support functions tying in other project;
· Extensive capital markets options & derivatives data handling of greeks data;
· Co-sponsored Bank’s MS .Net User Group; mentored;
· Put Linux/Perl open-source into Bank’s mainstream;
· Environment: Solaris, Windows, Apache mod_perl, Win32 OLE, SiteMinder, Capital Markets financials.
The next 16 job descriptions were consulting jobs, both as on a contract basis and as a full-time employee of various consulting firms.
These jobs vary in length from several months to about a year each
Consultant, UBS Warburg (Interactive Business Systems IBS), 4/2001 to 12/2001, 7 months.
For a major Swiss investment bank, was the lead developer for AuthSSO, a Single-Sign-On solution protecting bank external-facing internet sites. Application was client/server 3-tier web architecture authentication and authorization engine written in OO Perl as a mod_perl Apache plug-in.
Also, implemented interconnection to UBS site from FXAll.com and TheMarkets.com, two major financial portals. Project was a UBS corporate standard; development was moved to London. Received merit prize & recognition at annual IT departmental meeting.
Environment: Perl, OO Perl, Apache mod_perl, cryptography, Sun Solaris, DBI::Sybase, SSO, International banking / financials, web security, authentication, networking.
Consultant, CNA Commercial Insurance (Maxim), 1/2001 to 4/2001, 3 months.
· Configured, installed, and customized 3 Perl-based message board systems (WWWThreads, now BBThreads) for an internal corporate website. Configured Apache and Netscape web servers. Tied message board into Oracle and MySQL databases. Sysadmin work of compiling, installing various Perl modules (incl. DBI / DBD) on NT and HP/UX. Meetings, business needs assessment, documentation.
· Programmed some small Java servlets using Borland JBuilder and Apache Jakarta Tomcat. Edited and rewrote documentation for another unrelated project.
· Implemented a web-based file explorer for corporate document storage. Assisted with a variety of other website duties.
Environment: HP/UX, Perl, Apache, Java, Jakarta Tomcat, WWWThreads, DBI, DBD::Oracle, MySQL.
Consultant, Citadel Investments, Inc. (Synectics), 11/2000 to 12/2000, 2 months.
For a major hedge fund, attempted migration of many in-house C and C++ applications to a new compiler version. The project failed because the 3rd party, purchased libraries these apps linked to were not yet capable of compilation under 64-bit Solaris and/or not being ready for the new compiler version. Target environment was a Sun Solaris 2.6 box, moving from Sun C++ 4.2 to Sun C++ Forte 6 update 1 (a.k.a Forte 5.2). The 3rd party libraries were ACE, Roguewave, FFTW, and many others. Documented and established clearly that tools were not compatible and project was not possible, saving client money.
Environment: Sun Solaris, NT, C++, RogueWave, ACE, FFTW, Korn shell script, Sun C++ 4.2, Sun Forte 6 compiler.
Consultant, Chicago Stock Exchange (Interactive Business Systems, Inc., IBS), 7/2000-11/2000, 4 mo.
For the clearing department of a major stock exchange, architected and implemented a data entry automation project. Replaced a laborious, fax-based process with secure FTP transfer and automated processing into their complex proprietary financial stock settlement system (the SIAC, DTC, DTCC / NSCC systems). Worked co-project manager, architect, developer, tester, etc. Approx. 6K lines Vax C code. Educated and assisted client re: network security, Secure FTP, and encryption tools (PGP). Program put into use and saved 1.5 full-time people's worth of work.
Environment: Vax VMS, VMS DCL, C, PGP, SIAC, DTC, DTCC, Financials, Stocks, clearinghouse operations, high reliability.
Consultant, Sears, Roebuck & Co. (Synectics), 9/1999 to 7/2000, 10 months.
Architected and implemented a software configuration management (SCM) plan for Sears.com’s 20,000+ file Broadvision ecommerce website. This SCM solution tied PVCS version control to Lotus Notes problem tracking. Initially wrote 5,000 lines of Solaris/Unix Korn shell scripts; later, translated to about 5,000 lines of Perl with tests, error checking, monitoring, etc.
Environment: Solaris Unix, Perl, Korn shell script, Rsync, Marimba, SCM, Rational, CMM, website
Consultant, Van Kampen, Inc. (Intellimark), 8/1999 to 9/1999, 1 month.
Implemented a browser-cookie based session tracking (click-path) for VanKampen.com using NSAPI (Netscape Application Programming Interface) calls in Sun Solaris C language. Quickly learned required material and implemented code. Accomplished task; was a quick job; code now in use.
Consultant, Sears, Roebuck (Intellimark & Acxiom), 1/1999 to 7/1999, 7 months.
Lead Systems Architect on a rearchitecture effort for their Sears’ credit card creditworthiness risk assessment processing system. Existing system was a combination flat-file database and 4-gl scripting language, was exceedingly slow and ill-featured. Prototyped; proved with benchmarking programs the new architecture would bring processing time down from over 13 hours to 8 minutes. Designed data mart / data warehouse for 100+ Terabyte system. Wrote conversion programs in C, the 4GL scripting language (‘DoD’, Data on Demand), Unix Korn shell script, SyncSort script, and Informix SQL. Some of these programs interacted with large, disparate data sources across the company and coordinated data import to the conversion system. Project was delayed by Y2K freeze, but employees used and finished it later.
ENVIRONMENT: Consulting, WinNT, Norbert DOD, Digital Compaq Unix, C, Syncsort, Y2K, conversion, Informix, VLDB.
Consultant, Interim Technology (in-house project), 7/1998 to 12/1998, 5 months.
For a brand-new hourly consulting division of Interim Technology, Inc., was technical project lead / Systems Architect. Designed, did some implementation on web-based recruiting site and call center software for software contracting (passed further development off to a corporate development center in Florida). R&D on voice recognition, streaming audio and video, database tie-in, telephony/call center tie-in, webspider/webrobot, web-based document publishing. Designed website content, database work. Full range technical HR questions – legalities, standards & practices. Functionally became an expert in web-based recruiting. Budget was $50,000. Coordinated with both external website graphics company and another internal development team implementing parts of the site.
ENVIRONMENT: Consulting; WinNT; HTML; JAVA; NETSCAPE; IE; MS Internet Information Server (IIS); SmartSpider; Net-it; NaturallySpeaking; RealVideo; Access; MS SQL Server.
Consultant, Kemper Insurance (Keane), 5/1998 to 7/1998, 3 months.
Programming and support for C / Unix / SQL insurance claim processing system; application was at end of life cycle (Y2K issue).
ENVIRONMENT: Consulting, WinNT, HP / UX Unix, Informix SQL, Korn shell scripting, Insurance industry.
Consultant, Ciber, Inc (in-house project), 3/1998 to 5/1998, 3 months.
Assisted with website development and graphics generation.
Environment: Consulting, HTML, Paint Shop Pro, Frontpage, Win NT.
Consultant, Borders Waldenbooks (Computer Task Group CTG, IBM), 10/1997 to 2/1998, 5 mo.
Design and development work on combo of Borders.com and in-house Order Request/Tracking system. Middleware tied IBM’s Net.Commerce middleware to Legacy and new Client/Server systems. Wrote about 7500 lines C and C++ code. Was responsible for the following:
ENVIRONMENT: Retail/Web; UNIX; AIX; C; C++; WINDOWS NT; Visual Studio; SQL, ODBC, DB2
Consultant, Iowa Student Loan Liquidity (CTG), 5/1997 to 9/1997, 5 months.
Designed and developed a student loan calculation program for student financial aid offices. Fat client program (not web based). Distributed via their website and on every desk of the Iowa State University (48K students) financial aid offices. Application developed using Visual Foxpro running on Windows 95. Developed GUI user interface, VB / Visual Foxpro scripts, architected and implemented complete application. Application used complex financial mathmatics for financials and loan calculcations, incl. Newton’s Method of Positive Positioning, was usable for any combination of loans and payment plans. Application rolled out successfully.
ENVIRONMENT: Loan Brokerage; WINDOWS 95; VISUAL FOXPRO; FINANCIALS.
Consultant, Communications Data Services (CTG), 3/1997 to 5/1997, 3 months.
Designed and developed 50+ different magazine subscription ecommerce CGI web pages. Pages were the publisher’s own ‘subscribe now’ links (very high traffic), including Men’s Health, The Upper Room, Playboy, Scientific American, and others.
ENVIRONMENT: Consulting; UNIX; SOLARIS; C; HTML; JAVA; CGI; DB2; PERL; ORACLE; NETSCAPE.
Consultant, Microware [div. of Motorola] (CTG), 1/1997 to 3/1997, 3 months.
Designed and implemented complete QA unit testing regimen for Internet-based consumer electronics device. The device was a “grandmother-usable” telephone-like device that sends and retrieves email. The first production run was 100,000 units (thus excellent QA was vital). Created test plan, implemented, and documented complete process and application.
ENVIRONMENT: Software Development; QA; TCP/IP; POP3 email; PPP; UNIX.
Consultant, Systemed Pharmacy, Inc. [div. Merc / Medco] (CTG), 6/1996 to 1/1997, 8 months
For a Fortune 25 pharmaceutical corporation, created programs necessary for business reports and data conversion necessary to support a plant closure. Provided daytime production support of assembly line software.
ENVIRONMENT: Pharmaceutical; Powerhouse; VAX/VMS, Cobol, SQL, C, Vax RDB.
Consultant, Equitable of Iowa Insurance (CTG), 4/1996 to 6/1996, 3 months.
For an insurance company, analyzed the Voice Response Unit (VRU) financial application data and modified supporting applications. Designed and developed the Voice Response Unit.
ENVIRONMENT: Insurance; ACCESS; VRU; MICROFOCUS COBOL; C.
Software Engineer, Croyle & Assoc. (employee), 5/1995 to 11/1995, 6 months.
For a telecommunications firm, designed and developed telephone switching software to route calls through a call center’s VRU. The software was a Client/Server design interacting with VISUAL BASIC client, telecommunications business knowledge base, inter-process communications and multithreaded.
ENVIRONMENT: Telecommunications; C; OS/2; VRU; CTI; ASPECT; X-BASE; SQL; ORACLE.
Software Engineer, Compressor Controls (employee), 7/1993 to 5/1995, 2 years
For an industrial controls corporation, designed and developed gas pipeline pump control software used at 5,000+worldwide locations. The gas pipeline pump control software was developed in real-time in a heavily scientific environment.
ENVIRONMENT: Industrial Controls; C; EMBEDDED SYSTEMS; REAL-TIME; Tlib; Petrochemical industry; Version control; PVCS; Windows.
Software Technician, Logicon Technical Services & US Army War College (employee), 6/1992 to 7/1993, 1 year
For a military contractor, designed, developed, and provided production support for complex U.S. Army battle simulation (war-fighter game) software.
ENVIRONMENT: Military; C; VAX/VMS; Vax DCL and RDB, various VMS utilities and functions.
Programmer, Intern Programmer, Lawson Associates / Lawson Software, Inc. (employee), Summer 1991, 1/1990 to 1/1991, and Summer 1989, 18 months.
For a well-known vertical-market business software developer, created a data entry application for financials (Accounts Payable) distributed processing. PARADOX was used to gather data and perform preliminary validation. Wrote user and technical manuals and provided training.
ENVIRONMENT: Financials; Accounts Payable; C; PARADOX; PAL.
Developer Intern, Analysts International Corp. AIC (employee), Summer 1987 Summer 1986 , 6 months.
Software testing and QA projects on Corvet Project, a 1.5 Million line Cobol app that generated stand-alone Cobol programs on multiple platforms.
ENVIRONMENT: QA, adversarial testing, Cobol, application generator
Sears.com / Kmart.com (Sears Holdings, Inc.)
Nokia / Navteq Corporation
Textura Corporation (formerly Textura, LLC)
Bank One / JPMChase, Inc.
UBS Warburg, Inc.
CNA Commercial Insurance, Inc.
Chicago Stock Exchange, Inc.
Citadel Investments, Inc.
Interactive Business Systems, Inc. (IBS)
Sears, Roebuck, and Co.
Interim Technology, Inc.
Interim IT Associates, Inc.
Kemper Insurance Co.
Computer Task Group, Inc.
Borders Waldenbooks, Inc.
Iowa Student Loan Liquidity Corp.
Communications Data Services, Inc.
Maxim Group, Inc.
Equitable of Iowa Insurance
Croyle and Associates, Inc.
Compressor Controls Corp.
Logicon Data Services, Inc.
Lawson Software, Inc.
Analysts International Corp.
References Are Available on Request