Kevin J. Rice
2500 Behan Rd., Crystal Lake, IL 60014
Cell: (847) 845-RICE (847) 845-7423
B.S.C.S. software engineer with 25+ years doing highly technical client/server architecture and development over the full software life cycle, primarily in Python, Perl, and C.
PRIMARY LANGUAGES: Python (14 years), Perl (5 years), C (10 years)
ANCILLARY LANGUAGES: C# .NET (1 yr), Java (1 yr), VBA, C++, Cobol, SQL, Ada, Assembler, Lisp
PLATFORMS: Linux (RHEL, Ubuntu), Windows (all), AWS, Mac OS X, AIX, Solaris, HP/UX, Embedded, AS/400
DATABASES: MongoDB (6+ yrs), MySQL (6+ yrs), Postgres (7 yrs), Oracle, Sybase, Informix, DB2, Cassandra, MS SQL Server, Memcache, Redis, MS Access, Paradox, Foxpro, ODBC, Vax/VMS RDB.
NETWORKING: Ethernet, sockets, DHCP, TCP/IP, POP3, PPP, cabling, firewalls, security, load balancers, routers, NAT, Internet protocols, authentication & authorization, SSL / TLS.
DEVELOPMENT TOOLS: Git, SVN, CVS, PVCS, ClearCase, SourceSafe, JQuery, CSS, VSCode, Eclipse, Visual Studio, SonarCube, Jenkins
OTHER SOFTWARE: Flask, Django, Pytest, Graphite, OpenNMS, Splunk, Twisted, Nginx, Apache, F5 Load Balancers (NTPd, Robot Testing Frameworks, WebWare for Python, Pylons, LAMP, Mod_Perl, BBThreads, Dreamweaver, Frontpage, MS Office, JMX, Awk, Korn / Bourne (bash) Unix shell scripting, Make, sed, emacs, vi, Vax VMS DCL & VMS utilities, Norbert DOD, PGP, Roguewave, Lawson.
INDUSTRIES: Retail, Financials / Markets, Construction accounting, Capital Markets (Risk), Credit, Consumer Electronics, Military, Education, Petrochemical, Insurance, Telecom, HR, Publishing.
APPLICATIONS: Timeseries/monitoring, Financials (FINRA / OATS, FIX protocol), E-Commerce, micro-services, infrastructure, front-end web development, internet security InfoSec, embedded real-time systems, consumer electronics, telecom, industrial control systems, turbomachinery, web-based recruiting, version control tools & processes, cryptography.
· Standard resume with summary info: http://justanyone.com/KevinJRiceResume.docx
· Employment History: http://justanyone.com/KevinJRiceEmploymentHistorySummary.docx
B.S., Computer Science, University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS, 1992
Senior Developer, PNC Bank, Pittsburgh/Remote (Indotronix, Consulting) 8/2019 to current (~1 yr)
· Python arch / dev / maintenance on Django app to automate DevOps server provisioning tools into in-house datacenters.
· Environment: Python, Django, MongoDB, MySQL, Git, Agile, VSCode, Python 3.6
Senior Software Engineer, Bank of America (Apex Consulting) 8/2018 to 8/2019 (1 yr)
· Python-based architecture/development / maintenance on capital markets deal aggregation processes
· Environment: Custom Python DB, custom BofA toolsets (“Quartz”/”QzDev”) and databases (“Sandra”), Agile, Python3.7 conversion.
Senior Software Engineer, Engine Group, Inc. 3/2018 to 8/2018 (6 months)
· Python2.7 and Python3.7 lambda functions; business analysis & specifications, doc-writing; infrastructure & InfoSec / security analysis.
· AWS lambda diagnosis, some Bamboo, MySQL, NodeJS, Git, Mac/Brew configuration
Principal Software Engineer, Sears Holdings, Inc. (Contract-to-Hire) 4/2012 to 2/18, 6 yrs
· Python Devops arch/design/coding/maint of large-scale monitoring systems used corporation-wide;
· Architect and technical team lead for team of 8 developers
· Scalability: enhanced from gathering 1M to 15M metrics/minute incl. Enterprise-wide metrics collection, storage, display;
· Created new MongoDB (v. 2.4 to v.3.4+) data warehouse accessible via Django / Graphite.
· Sat on 25-person corporate infra architecture committee, incl. SHC migration to AWS;
· Environment: Linux, Python, MongoDB, Flask, Kafka, Git, Twisted, Nginx, Graphite, Ceres, OpenNMS, Splunk, Django, F5, Cassandra. Some Windows/Aix/Solaris.
· [ Contract consultant for 3 years, full-time employee 3 years ]
Software Engineer, Nokia / Navteq Garmin (Consultant) 8/2011 to 4/2012, 9 months
· Created Python libraries used by Robot Framework test scripts;
· Created complex QA automation - test suites exercising newly-developed code (Java JMX & others);
· Environment: Linux, Python, Perl, Win32 Python, Robot Testing Framework, JMX, svn.
Lead Trade Support Analyst, Citadel Corporation 6/2010 to 8/2011, 1 year
· Trading desk support operations role (handled 6% of the U.S. equities and options markets;
· Perl and Python development/design of trading desk automation incl. troubleshooting FIX protocol lines and backoffice systems & processes;
· Setup new FIX lines and certified new clients dataflow;
· Rewrote compliance FINRA OATS processing of equities flow;
· Built several internal websites (Python Django & mod_perl) using Sybase;
· Environment: Linux, Python, Perl, Windows 7, Sybase, FIX, OATS, Django, ksh, bash, svn, capital markets, financials.
Senior Software Engineer / Architect, Textura Corporation 2/2005 to 5/2010, 5 years
· Employee #5 of now-publicly-listed 200+ employee construction industry corp doing B2B ASP / SAAS;
· Python architecture, design, coding of large portions of the main app in a small team, working closely with business analysts;
· Highly Agile weekly releases using TDD (test-driven development) unit and functional tests;
· Extensive use of SQLObject & SQLAlchemy ORMs (like Hibernate) connected to Postgres database, with hand-coding complex SQL queries when needed for optimization;
· Heavy OO design, development, incl. business analysis, coding, data conversion, and deployments;
· Fitnesse (functional) and Nose (unit) testing frameworks (similar to JUnit);
· Linux (Ubuntu and Redhat) system administration, documentation;
· Environment: Linux, Python, Postgres, Apache, SQLAlchemy, ACH payments, E-signing, automated legal docs, sysadmin, svn, RHEL, TDD Agile, Construction.
Lead Application Developer, BankOne JP Morgan Chase 4/2002 to 1/2005, 3 years
· Architected / developed Capital Markets Risk financials data warehouse;
· Reports and dataflows went to primary users of CEO Jamie Dimon & JPMC Board of Directors;
· Technical team lead for 5 developers on project;
· Wrote 40,000 lines of Perl to scan 350+ file types & load data into Sybase (migrated to Oracle);
· Developed 2000+ lines of VBA & 3000+ lines of complex SQL to extract data into Excel reports;
· Wrote 2000+ lines Visual Studio .NET C# code for misc. support functions tying in other project;
· Extensive capital markets options & derivatives data handling of greeks data;
· Co-sponsored Bank’s MS .Net User Group; mentored;
· Put Linux/Perl open-source into Bank’s mainstream;
· Environment: Solaris, Windows, Apache mod_perl, Win32 OLE, SiteMinder, Capital Markets financials.
Software Architect / Developer, Consultant
(Various Companies in Des Moines, Iowa and Chicago, Illinois) 5/1993 to 4/2002, 9 years
· Created Single-Sign-On-enabled secure web sessions so UBS clients could buy bonds online;
· Created version control tools for Sears.com’s 140+ person dev team, eased a QA nightmare (circa 1999);
· Automated a stock exchange clearinghouse’s data entry process, reduced 2.5 headcounts;
· Discovered $250M savings for Sears Credit Card through improved credit scoring;
· Implemented IBM’s Net.Commerce, got Borders.com online faster w/ increased efficiency;
· Helped more college students afford loans w/ Student Loan app to show predicted loan payments;
· Created publisher’s magazine subscription website, vastly increased international subscriptions (CGI in C, Java, and even Cobol!);
· Created conversion programs to close down a pharma company after a merger;
· Coding, QA, documentation, and other technical project work at several other locations.
· Real-time embedded C PID controller for turbocompressor gas pipeline (2 yrs., fulltime)
· Sysadmin for defense contractor Logicon for Ft. Leavenworth War College BCTP worldwide, 1 yr.
· Environments: Perl, C, C++, Java, Cobol, Solaris, Windows, Linux, Oracle, Sybase, DB2, MySQL.
· Member, Chicago InfraGard InfoSec group since 2017
· Have traveled to (& eaten in) 22 countries and 46 US states.